The Cyprus Institute - Scientist(s)/Engineer(s) for Solar Energy Research
Scientist(s)/Engineer(s) for Solar Energy Research (Ref. No.: EEWRC_SER_13_14)
Closing Date: 3rd November 2013
The Cyprus Institute (www.cyi.ac.cy)a non-profit technology-oriented research and post-graduate education organization, is spearheading a number of projects on Solar-Thermal Energy which involve the construction of innovative multipurpose demonstration units using concentrated solar power (CSP). The units which will utilise solar thermal energy, include a thermal storage system using molten salts as the storage medium, and will produce electricity through a steam engine and desalinate water through a Multi-Effect Distillation (MED) system.
The units’ construction is intended to confirm the technical feasibility of the innovative ideas of multi-application solar thermal demonstrators on a small scale and realistic environmental and operating conditions, before their deployment.
CyI is seeking to recruit at least one dynamic and versatile Scientist or Engineer to work on the construction, installation and commissioning of these solar thermal demonstration units. The successful applicant(s) shall be actively engaged with the on-going research, and the design, construction and testing of experimental components associated with the Solar Thermal Energy and Desalination research carried out at the CyI. The appointment will be initially for a fixed term period of two (2) years with an option for extension. The official joining rank and annual salary will depend on the applicants’ experience and qualifications.
The selected candidate(s) will work in the areas of systems engineering and design. Applicant(s) are desired to have expertise in at least two of the following areas:
- Engineering of solar thermal technologies (Troughs, Heliostats, Receiver systems, Thermal storage).
- Thermal and process engineering
- Mechanical systems design, integration and analysis
- Instrumentation, specification and integration of control systems
Applicants must hold:
- A PhD or an MSc in Engineering or Experimental Physics with at least five years of proven practical (laboratory or field) experience
- An educational background in one of the following fields: mechanical, chemical, process, electrical engineering or experimental physics
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential. Knowledge of the Greek language will be considered an advantage.
For full consideration, interested applicants should send their curriculum vitae, a confidential letter of int