Faculty Position(s): Solar Energy (Ref. No.: EEWRC_FSE_13_15)
Closing date: 1st December 2013
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit science and technology institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees (www.cyi.ac.cy). Research in the Cyprus Institute is conducted in its three research centers: the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC), and the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CASTORC).
The EEWRC addressed issues of global significance in the fields of energy, environmental and water research, with a focus on their specific regional, East-Mediterranean manifestations. Its research agenda addresses the great challenges related to: the mitigation and adaptation strategies necessitated by climate change, a reduced dependence on hydrocarbon energy sources and achieving a low carbon economy through the employment of renewables (solar), synergies between Renewable and Hydrocarbon energy sources and enabling a sustainable management of water and other natural resources in arid and semi-arid environments.
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) invites applications for new faculty member(s) in the field of: Solar Thermal Energy Technologies with research to be primarily conducted at its Energy, Environment and Water Research Center (EEWRC). The position offers excellent possibilities for highly motivated individuals in a field of growing importance and in which CyI has extensive portfolio. The faculty rank to be awarded (Assistant, Associate or Full Professor) will be based on the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Description of the Position
The new Faculty member(s) will advance EEWRC’s research agenda related to Solar Thermal Energy research in close collaboration with the Solar Energy and Desalination research group and the Center’s Director. The successful candidate(s) will be actively engaged with the on-going research, the development of novel ideas and concepts, and the design, construction and testing of experimental components and units associated with the Solar Thermal Energy and/or Desalination research carried out at the CyI.
The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for helping to shape and advance the Cyprus Institute’s and EEWRC's research agenda by:
- developing and implementing strategies appropriate to the Institute’s mission;
- actively participating in the creation of a world-class research program in atmospheric sciences;
- securing financial and other resources from national and international sources;
- mentoring, educating and providing research guidance to graduate students in CyI's doctoral program (particularly the Environment and Atmospheric Sciences program);
- initiating and sustaining high-level collaborative projects with leading research institutions that conduct research in areas related to his/her respective fields;
- communicating the results and implications of research conducted at EEWRC and The Cyprus Institute at all levels, including the academic community, the public at large and political and economical decision makers.
The successful candidate(s) is/are expected to be scholars of international standing with adequate research experience in at least one of the following fields:
- Solar thermal technologies with an emphasis on Heliostats, Central Receiver systems and Thermal Energy Storage
- Thermal and process engineering or experimental physics of relevance to the field of Solar Energy
- Mechanical Systems design, policy and analysis.
- Techno-economic modelling and analysis of energy systems and grid integration
The candidate(s) should have proven expertise in the above fields. S/he should have demonstrated credentials for the rank s/he wants to be considered. The selected candidate(s) must have excellent interpersonal skills aimed at maintaining contacts in academic, business and governmental circles. Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential. Knowledge of the Greek language will be considered an advantage.
Applicants should submit: (i) a curriculum vitae including a list of publications and a compilation of research grants obtained (ii) a vision statement and specification of the rank for which are to be considered (iii) a list of four references (including contact information). Please send your application with the requested documentation in English prior to 1st December 2013 via e-mail to HR@cyi.ac.cy showing the following reference in the subject heading: EEWRC_FSE_13_15. For further information pleas